Sunday, March 1, 2009

Who is Sucia?

I am very well aware that many of you will know what my name means in Spanish. And I have to assure you, that was not my intention.

My boyfriend's father is Mennonite and calls me Sucia as an affectionate way to say my name - Sarah. I'm a very energetic young woman and am often told "Shush ya Sucia!" by my boyfriend who thinks it's hilarious. Needless to say, the name has caught on. However, when I guessed at the spelling, I guessed drastically wrong. Oh well, life goes on.

Sucia is the name of my etsy shop as well. And has developed her own sort of personality. I see Sucia as this well-meaning person who does not always come off as kindly as she means to be. Sucia is adventurous and goofy and has no fears when it comes to admitting she is confused. Much more competent than Sarah, Sucia can navigate her way through this crafting / business world like Sarah can find her way to the artsy books in any bookstore (in 2 seconds flat). Both of us are slightly geeky - but the cool kind of geeky, you know? We both relish second hand clothes and having awesome items that nobody else has. We are a lot the same but Sucia has become my sort of alter-ego who excells in the areas that I am weak and makes friends much more quickly than her shyer alter-ego (me) is apt to do.

I've grown to love Sucia and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment